Salmon Coast Field Station, a non-profit organization, is a facility for coastal conservation research. Salmon Coast is seeking a Station Caretaker who will live onsite at our field station in the remote community of Echo Bay, BC in the fall and winter seasons.
This is a dynamic position with responsibilities that fluctuate throughout the year. Salmon Coast is open to the role being shared by one or more individuals.
Application Deadline: Rolling until filled. We will begin reviewing applications July 15 and encourage early applicants.
Contract Start Date: Flexible, as early as August 15, 2018
Contract duration: 2 months minimum
Pay & Benefits: $1500-$2000/month, depending on experience, plus in-kind provision of accommodations and utilities in a private cabin (power, heat, internet, cell service, propane) and moorage
Duties & Responsibilities
The station caretaker, under the supervision of the Board of Directors, will work independently to fulfill the following responsibilities:
- Basic maintenance of station facilities, including boats, dock, outbuildings, utilities, grounds, equipment, and gardens
- Administrative duties including making and fulfilling grocery orders, receiving and processing mail,
- Providing on-the-ground support of researchers, including scheduling and coordination
- Providing regular reports (email and phone, as needed) to board and off-site support staff on station status and operations
- Handy person skills, experience with construction and chainsaw work
- Experience or interest in alternative energy (solar and microhydro)
- Marine/wilderness experience and certifications (SVOP, ROC –M, Marine First Aid)
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Comfortable living in a remote area with minimal access to urban services
How to Apply:
To apply, please e-mail your resume, with references, and a brief covering letter, to firstname.lastname@example.org